Reston Cosmetic Dentist
Reston Cosmetic Dentist | Thanks to modern-day technology, patients have a variety of dental options. Oftentimes, patients are unsure of which one is best for their needs. Dental implant or bridge? Both choices offer different benefits. However, one may be more suited for your unique smile.
Learn about the differences between dental implants and dental bridges below. Then contact our Reston cosmetic dentist today!
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the perfect option for anyone who has lost a tooth or a set of teeth to periodontal disease, accident, or other reason. The implant is primarily a titanium post that supports a crown. In other words, it acts as a tooth root.
In brief, dental implants are inserted surgically into the patient’s jawbone, to ensure it’s well anchored. After 3-6 months, after the osseointegration process is complete, an abutment is attached by the Reston cosmetic dentist. The abutment connects a dental crown which completes the tooth’s restoration.
Reston Cosmetic Dentist | Benefits of Dental Implants
- Little maintenance: Dental implants can last several years. Patients simply need to brush and floss as recommended. Also, maintain their dental exams and cleanings.
- Natural-looking: Implants function, feel and look like a natural tooth.
- Protect your jawbone: Missing teeth exposes your jawbone to the risk of deterioration. Fortunately, dental implants stimulate bone growth.
- No strain on teeth: Dental implants prevent teeth shifting.
What Are Dental Bridges?
In short, dental bridges bridge the gap between two or more teeth. Implants or natural teeth support the bridge. Pontics are artificial teeth. Likewise, the anchoring teeth are called abutment teeth. In other words, there are dental crowns at each end with the false tooth in the middle.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
- The procedure is usually more simple than implants if using natural teeth as anchors.
- Bridges are known to last up to 15 years with good dental hygiene
- Maintenance requires normal brushing and flossing. In addition, visit your dentist regularly.
- Likewise, bridges prevent teeth from shifting.
Schedule a consultation with our Reston cosmetic dentist at Reston Modern Dentistry. We offer a variety of cosmetic dental procedures to assist all patients. If you have missing teeth, we recommend replacing them as soon as possible. Discover which teeth replacement option is best for your smile. Call 703-722-8972 or book an appointment online. Or, visit us at 11490 Commerce Park Dr. STE 110 Reston, VA 20191. New patients are always welcome.